Tour Historic Downtown Mancos
The Mancos Valley lies between the La Plata Mountains and Mesa Verde National Park. The area still retains its Wild West character with cowboys riding the range, or cattle drives right through the center of town.
The town of Mancos is an historic community, where the town retains its pride in history with several buildings on the State and National Historic Registers. So mosey about town and see the buildings and homes from the late 1800’s to early 1900’s.
Wagner House (1895)
207 Main Street
This house was owned by Francis Herman Wagner, a shoemaker and Austrian native who came to Mancos in 1895. Wagner and his wife Eliza raised a family here. Their grandchildren still live in the Mancos area.
Bauer House (1890)
100 Bauer Avenue
Listed in the State of Colorado Register of Historical Places.
Built in 1890 by George Bauer, one of the founders of Mancos, it was purchased by Dr. Trotter in 1917 and converted into a residence and a hospital. It was restored with assistance from The Colorado State Historical Society.
Wrightsman House (1903)
209 Bauer Avenue
Listed in the State of Colorado Register of Historical Places.
This three-story stone building with a basement and a veranda on the north side was built in 1903 as a residence for Dr. Wrightsman at a cost of $12,000. It was fitted with the most modern conveniences and tastefully decorated both inside and out. Although it has been remodeled over the years, the building's exterior retains its original charm.
Hamblin-Carpenter House (1902)
244 Bauer Avenue
This home was built in 1902 as a residence for Fred W. and Cordelia Hamblin. According to historic descriptions, it had the very best materials and furnishings. Sadly, Mr. Hamblin became ill and died suddenly in August, 1902, just seven months after the house was completed. Then, S.W. Carpenter, a young lawyer, occupied the house for 29 years.
Coston House (~1910)
414 Bauer Avenue
Constructed around 1910 for owner Elmer Coston, a store manager for George Bauer, was also a musician who played violin for the silent movies and dances held at the opera house.
St. Paul's Episcopal Church (1913)
Corner of Bauer Avenue & Oak Street
Church services were held in a log cabin from 1897-1913, when this building was constructed at an original cost of $1,232.50. Delbert Carpenter built the pews. The communion rail came from a disbanded church. Stained-glass windows and the baptismal font are memorials to James Cornings, a lay reader, who held church for four years until his death in 1902.
Methodist Church (1893)
470 Grand Avenue
Built prior to 1893 near the train depot, this building was moved to its current location in 1899. In 1919 the old frame building was renovated and stuccoed. In 1921, two classrooms and the narthex were added. The stained- glass window was created by Marge Garrett. The Fellowship Hall was added in 1956.
Ormiston-Landreth House (1896)
328 Grand Avenue
Built by a rancher in 1896 as a retirement home for himself and his wife, this has been home to five couples over the years, all retired. No children have ever lived in this home.
This residence and the Saterlee-White House are unique in that they appear to have been designed as "sister" homes.
Saterlee-White House (1896)
338 Grand Avenue
In 1898, ownership transferred from Caswell Saterlee to John White, whose residence was located next door and to the east. Windows used in the original construction were dated 1903, possibly indicating the year the original construction was completed. One of the residence’s more notable owners was Dr. J.R. Trotter, who acquired title to the property in 1939 through the estate of a friend and patient.
This residence and the Ormiston-Landreth House are unique in that they appear to have been designed as "sister" homes.
Mancos High School (1909)
355 Grand Avenue
The first high school in Montezuma County, Mancos High School is the oldest continuously operating high school in Colorado. Built in 1909 costing $10,595 by W. L. Morse and David Ramsey, the current building replaced the former school known as Union Hall. The grade school to the east was constructed in 1951. More classrooms and a gymnasium were added in 1956.
Kelly House (~1898)
246 Grand Avenue
The Charles B. Kelly family moved into this house around 1898, and the home remains in the family four generations later. It was remodeled and enlarged in 1909. A man who finished Pullman cars on the railroad did the woodwork on the entry hall, stairs and window casings. This house features a small fireplace containing an intricate water heating system. “Burn Haven” imprinted in the cement on the front steps, is Scottish for "home by the river."
Clark House (1901)
236 Grand Avenue
This home was built as a residence and doctor’s office by Dr. Leonard J. Clark in 1901. Clark came to Mancos as a physician for the Rio Grande Southern Railroad and served as resident doctor for the area for many years. Mrs. Kenneth Brown, who lived here until 2000, was a patient of Dr. Clark’s until his death in 1944. Extensive remodeling was done in 1951, but the porch and exterior of the home keep its original character.
Krumpanirsky-Freeman House (1906)
233 Grand Avenue
This home was built in 1906. Ira Sidney Freeman and family lived here for a number of years while he was editor of The Mancos Times-Tribune from 1905 to 1928.
Old Mancos Inn (1894)
Corner of Grand Avenue and Mesa Street
The Ausburn Hotel was built in 1894 and known for many years as the Mancos Hotel. Locals also call this the Dean Hotel after Roy Dean, who owned it from 1922 to 1928. A restaurant was added in later years. The exterior still resembles the original building.
Mancos Opera House (1910)
136 Grand Avenue
The Mancos Opera House was built in 1910. The ground ﬂoor was developed for commercial enterprises while the second ﬂoor provided a place for community gatherings. The VFW purchased the building in 1946 and it was listed on the National Register of Historic Places in 1987. The building fell into disrepair but was later structurally stabilized with a grant by the State Historic Fund. In 2017, it was put up for sale and local community members purchased it on behalf of the community.
Mancos Times Tribune Building (1910)
135 Grand Avenue
The Mancos Times was the town’s first newspaper, founded in 1893. In 1910 it moved to its new home on Grand Avenue where the newly constructed fireproof building served as office and print shop until 1970 when the newspaper went to digital production. Today the historic building remains completely intact on the exterior and interior including a rare Cranston printing press. In 2018 a CO State Historic Fund grant enabled the restoration of the building.
Bauer Bank Building (1905)
Corner of Grand Avenue and Main Street
Listed in the National and Colorado State Register of Historical Places. Completed in fall 1905, Roessler Bros. general merchandise store occupied the main ﬂoor of this building, with the bank in one corner, and upstairs offi for the U.S. Forest Service, Mesa Verde National Park and the telephone company. Sheek’s Pool Room was in the basement. It received a Colorado preservation award in 1998.
Old Mancos Jail (1895)
Boyle Park (Bauer Avenue and Park Street)
Built in 1895, this is the first Mancos jail house. Initially Mancos Fort stood behind it, but was later dismantled. The jail was moved from it's original location and now resides in Boyle Park.